- New York
Kun Fan is Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law, where she teaches and conducts research in the areas of mediation, arbitration and comparative legal studies. In October 2017, she was named a Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Scholar in Arbitration & Commercial Law. She is also appointed as a member of the Institute of Transnational Arbitration Academic Council, and serves in the Executive Committee of International Task Force on Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution, and Co-Chairs the Working Group 1.
Professor Fan has studied and worked in China, Singapore, U.S.A., Switzerland, France, Hong Kong and Canada, and speaks Chinese, English and French. With her training in both the East and the West, in both common law and civil law jurisdictions, she is particularly interested in broad intellectual inquiries across national, disciplinary and professional boundaries. Before joining the McGill’s Faculty of Law, she was Assistant Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She has also been a Visiting Scholar at Harvard Yenching Institute.
Professor Fan has conducted several research projects as a principal investigator on various topics related to alternative dispute resolution. She is author of the book Arbitration in China: A Legal and Cultural Analysis (Hart Publishing) and has published extensively on cutting-edge issues in a variety of leading international journals. In recognition of her academic contribution, she received the award of the Best Research Outputs for Arbitration Theory in 2015 by China Arbitration Research Institute, Support for High-impact Scholarship 2013-2014 by the Committee on Focused Innovations Scheme, and Best Thesis in International Studies by the Swiss Network for International Studies Award in 2011.
Apart from academic research, Professor Fan also has extensive experience in ADR practice, and has worked as counsel, expert, secretary for the arbitration tribunal and arbitrator in a number of international arbitrations and domain name disputes, and has overseen over a hundred arbitrations administered by the ICC International Court of Arbitration when she worked as a Deputy Counsel.
Fan Kun is called to the New York Bar, Executive Council Member of the China Academy of Arbitration Law, Domain Names Panelist of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (“HKIAC”) and the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (“ADNDRC”), Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Accredited Mediator of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited, and Arbitrator of Zhuhai Arbitration Commission International Arbitration Court and Nanjing Arbitration Commission.
- Associate Professor, University of McGill (2016-present)
- Assistant professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Visiting scholar, Harvard Yenching Institute (2012-2013)
- Research assistant of Professor Gabrielle Kaufmann-Kohler, University of Geneva (2006-2007)
- Deputy Counsel, ICC International Court of Arbitration (2008-2009)
- Member of the Institute of Transnational Arbitration Academic Council
- Executive Committee Member, International Mixed Modes Dispute Resolution, initiated by College of Commercial Arbitrators (CCA), the International Mediation Institute (IMI) and the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine School of Law
- Co-Chair, Working Group 1, International Mixed Modes Dispute Resolution
- Executive Council Member, China Academy of Arbitration Law
- Editorial Board, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators: Arbitration – The International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management
- Juror, Nappert Prize in International Arbitration
- Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Associate Limited
- Domain Names Panelist, Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (“HKIAC”) and Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (“ADNDRC”).
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators.
- Arbitrator of Zhuhai Arbitration Commission International Arbitration Court.
- Member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA).
- Member of the Meridian 180: Transforming the Transpacific Dialogue.
- Member of the European Society of Comparative History.
- Member of the Asian Law Institute.
- Member of the Chinese European Legal Association.
- Member of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the Asian Society of International Law.
- Member of the Chinese Society of International Law